Before April showers start bringing May flowers, it’s a good idea to test the sump pump in your basement. A broken sump pump can lead to major damage, so make sure you don’t need sump pump replacement in Kansas City before the spring rains start falling. At Mac Wilson Plumbing, we offer plumbing services in Kansas City every day, so we understand how important preventative maintenance and regular testing are.
Your house’s sump pump is the first line of defense against the accumulation of rain and melted snow, which can not only flood your basement but damage your house’s foundation. If you haven’t examined and tested your sump pump in the last six months, it only takes a little time to ensure everything is in shape.
Step #1 – Locate and Inspect Your Sump Pump and the Discharge Pipe
- Make sure your pump, pump inlet, and discharge pipe are free of debris and relatively clean.
- Inspect electrical connections and cables for signs of damage or deterioration.
- If you discover any cracked or damaged insulation, exposed wires, or other noticeable damage, stop here, and find professional plumbing services in Kansas City.
Step #2 – Test Your Pump
- Once you have confirmed that your pump, discharge pipe, and electrical connections are visibly in good condition, you can test your pump.
- Fill a five-gallon bucket with clean water and slowly pour it around the sump pump.
- The pump should turn on automatically and pump the water out. If the pump does not turn on, it may have a problem with the sensor/switch, be clogged with mud or other debris, or the pump itself may be broken.
New vs. Old Sump Pump
Step #3 – Repair or Replace as Needed
- If you discover your sump pump is not working properly and you are unable to resolve the problem, get help from a professional, licensed plumber. A broken sump pump can lead to severe damage to your basement and home.
- If you want to make sure you find the best sump pump repair in Kansas City, call our team at Mac Wilson Plumbing.
If your pump is over ten years old, it is a good idea to go ahead and replace the whole assembly, even if it tests well. Sump pumps aren’t designed to last indefinitely, so it is best to replace them before they fail.
Call Mac Wilson Plumbing!
At Mac Wilson Plumbing, our team of professional, licensed technicians can resolve any issue you might have. We have experience with residential and commercial plumbing, including repairing a Kansas City broken sump pump! We can also inspect and test your pump for you if you don’t feel comfortable testing it yourself.
Honesty, integrity, and hard work make up our company’s core values. We believe that honesty is the foundation of any healthy relationship, and we look forward to building new relationships with customers like you.